One of our fellow jaffle / toastie / pudgy-pie afficionados, Joe, from Australia wrote in with his favorite recipe.
I thought I would share one of my fav jaffle recipes with you, its fairly simple but fantatic on a camp with a morning coffee:
Bacon and Egg Brekky JaffleIngredients:Thick slices of toasting breadBaconEggCheeseMushrooms (optional)Chili SaucePepperMethod:
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry directly in the jaffle iron, adding mushrooms if desired
- Remove bacon (and mushies), place buttered bread in jaffle iron
- Roll an uncracked egg onto the bread in the jaffle iron to make a deep well (so the egg doesn”t spill over)
- Crack the egg into the well, sprinkle with pepper
- Cover with cooked bacon (and mushrooms)
- Top off with a strong, bity flavoured cheese
- Top off cheese with chili sauce
- Add remaining slice of bread
- Cook slowly and a bit longer than usual as egg takes 4-5 minutes to cook properlyEnjoy!
For the cheese, we used pepper jack just for a little extra kick and we ended up scrambling the egg first because sadly…it was our last egg that day and I somehow managed to break the yolk. But next time we’ll definitely be cooking the egg whole inside the sandwich.