Broccoli cheese soup and broccoli cheese casserole is the stuff of childhood. A green veggie that not everyone likes covered in yummy melted cheese which most people like. Now wrap that up in a Toas-Tite and you’ve got something pretty special. Boy and I whipped this one up a few days ago loosely inspired by the American classic twice baked potato (Toas-Tite).
Broccoli and Cheese Toas-Tite
- 1/2 cup (or a little more) cooked and chopped broccoli
- 1 slice of Kraft American cheese
- 2 slices of bread (we used Oroweat Country Potato)
- Butter (softened)
- 1/2 slice of chopped bacon (optional)
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread (as usual)
- Place the buttered side of one piece of bread down on the open Toas-Tite sandwich maker
- Tear off half of the slice of cheese and place it in the center of the Toas-Tite
- Pile the chopped broccoli on top (and sprinkle in your bacon if you’re throwing it in there)
- Top with the other half of the slice of cheese
- Place the other piece of bread, buttered side up, on top of the filling
- Close the Toas-Tite sandwich maker, trim the extra bread, and toast
To be honest, neither Boy nor I really had a preference on the bacon in this Toas-Tite sandwich (we did indeed make two, one with bacon and one without, just jam packed with broccoli). They were both excellent. The half slice of bacon definitely gave the sandwich a hint of bacony goodness but it didn’t make or break the sandwich.
On the whole, I generally like a higher ratio of broccoli to other stuff so I packed as much in as I could. But don’t let your eyes deceive you. We over estimated how much broccoli we needed and bought two heads of broccoli but got 3 Toas-Tites out of one head.
After Boy bit into this one, he said, “Every time…I have a new favorite.” This one had all the goodness of any other cheesy broccoli combo in a nice little Toas-Tite package.