To continue our hot summer weather Toas-Tite theme from last time, sometimes on a hot day, you just need a cool drink and a Toas-Tite to go with it. One of my grandparents’ favorites was always a good gin and tonic. And of course, that’s why it became one of mine. On a hot day sitting on the porch or in the backyard, there isn’t much that could be better.
To go with our delicious cucumber topped G-‘n’-T, Boy and I made a nice little cucumber and cream cheese Toas-Tite. The first trick on this one is to start toasting the bread before you put the cream cheese and cucumber in the middle. The second trick is to let the Toas-Tite cool completely before you eat it. Now that’s really the hard part.
Cucumber and Cream Cheese Toas-Tite
- Two pieces of white bread
- Two discs of frozen cream cheese – each disc is made up of approximately 1 Tbsp. of cream cheese
- 6-8 slices of cucumber
- Dollop two spoonfuls of cream cheese onto a piece of a piece of aluminum foil.
- With the back of a spoon, spread these into two discs.
- Put the foil and cream cheese into the freezer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Prepare the cucumber slices by peeling the cucumber and slicing 6 to 8 pieces.
- Now it’s time to Toas-Tite! Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Preheat the Toas-Tite sandwich grill over your favorite heating source. When hot, place the bread into the clam shells. This will give the bread a head start in toasting.
- When you’re ready, place each of the frozen discs of cream cheese onto one of the slices of bread.
- Place the cucumber slices on top of one of the bread-cream-cheese halves.
- Carefully close the Toas-Tite sandwich grill, sandwiching the bottom bread-cream-cheese-cucumber half underneath the bread-cream-cheese top half.
- Toast away for a few minutes (flipping the grill to toast both sides, of course).
- When you’re happy with your toasting level, remove the sandwich from the iron and let cool completely.
- Now it’s time to make your gin and tonic!
Cucumber Gin And Tonic
- Schweppes tonic
- Hendrick’s gin
- Cucumber slices
- Ice cubes
- Fill a high ball glass (or glass of choice) with a few ice cubes.
- Add two ounces of Hendrick’s gin (or however much you like).
- Top it off with tonic.
- Garnish with a few slices of cucumber.
- At this point, your Toas-Tite should be completely cool. So take your lovely drink, your delicious Toas-Tite and go sit outside in the warm summer evening!