For our second Improv Toas-Tite in honor of Top Chef, we had the words green, sweet, and fruit. There are a lot of green fruits – kiwi, honeydew, avocado…but how many would do well heating up in a Toas-Tite with some kind of sweetness? We decided to go a little more conservative on the green fruit side and Boy and I chose some beautiful green granny smith apples.
However, instead of doing a rather standard apple pie, we wanted to do it with a little twist. Our twist…Greenlee’s cinnamon blueberry bread.
Apple Pie Toas-Tite With Cinnamon Blueberry Bread
- If your cinnamon bread is a bit on the small side, carefully roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Once your bread is a more Toas-Titeable size, butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the bread, butter side toward the clamshell, and top with the diced apples.
- Close the Toas-Tite grill and trim the extra bread.
- Toast it up and then enjoy!
This one is all about the tartness of the apple and the sweetness of the cinnamon bread. My grandmother would have said it needed sugar, but if you’re a fan of a little bite, don’t sweeten your apples. I personally love the contrast of the two.
In Top Chef land, this probably would have been a little weak on the actual green color in the finished product but….we’re allowed to bend the rules.